Cedar Shake vs. Shingles: Pros and Cons
There are different types of roofing and siding options available in the market that can be used by the building owners, but wood especially cedar still is the first choice of many people. Cedar roofing is the best way to freshen up your house and even return to colonial times when it was the prominent material that was used for roofing. Shakes and shingles used for roofing or siding are usually made of red cedar. Such roofing is lighter than other roofing so they are ideal to be installed on many different structures.
What you would like to choose between shakes or shingles
When it comes to cedar roofing, you have two options shakes and shingles. Shakes are split and have natural look while shingles are sawn on both sides and have smooth and more appealing look. Both forms of cedar wood have their own value and advantages. You can choose one to suit your requirements better. Below mentioned are some pros and cons of shakes and shingles, you can have a look before choosing any one:
Pros of shakes
- Green impact- It is energy efficient and recyclable that directly has a green impact to your home.
- Natural look as shakes are slip rather than swan they have more natural look and best choice to give your home pure natural elegance.
Cons of shakes
- Needs expert installation
- Additional maintenance
- Cannot bear excessive moisture or snow
Pros of shingles
- Extraordinary elegant look- shingles are not split but sawn so with it you can get quite smooth and appealing look in your home.
- Shingles have natural preservatives that makes it moisture or decay and insect damage resistant and it also
Cons of shingles
- Lower fire resistance
- high maintenance